Monday, September 10, 2007

Meet a Cartoonist

Who would have thought that over a year and a half ago when I started this here blog that it would still be running and there would be so many people reading it. As I sit here among the boxes in my new unfurnished studio, I am a tad nostalgic. Part of this is because we have plumbing problems in the house and I can't just call the landlord! I gotta call a plumber and shell out real money.


Anyway, here's the first entry from Tuesday, February 07, 2006, back when I was a NYC apt. renter and had a readership of about 5 or 6 people. A lot has changed since then; we've moved to New Hampshire and I pay the m-word instead of the r-word. But the process is still the same: make cartoons, send them off in the world, and hope for the best.

Meet a Cartoonist

This cartoon of mine appeared in Punch Magazine, before it folded. thought it was an appropriate thought to start this, my first blog entry.

I'm a full-time freelance cartoonist living in NYC. Mostly, I draw what are called single panel or gag cartoons for magazines. I've got a couple of cartoons to draw for Wall Street Journal. WSJ approved a couple of roughs and now I have to draw finishes. I don't like drawing finishes since they never look as good as the roughs. So, I was putting it off, reading blogs, and I read Jim Salicrup's blog. I like Jim and his blog was really interesting --even just the lists of stuff he bought at the comic store. And then I thought, what the heck, I'll defer drawing for even longer and start my own blog!


I better go draw now. After all, it's 3 weeks till rent's due! More cartoon talk another time ....

No comments: