Tuesday, July 21, 2009

POGO SUNDAY BOOK (1956)


Over at the great blog Comicrazies, you can read an entire Walt Kelly story titled "Double Sundae With Nuts" from his POGO SUNDAY BOOK, published by Simon & Schuster in 1956.

These are seminal stories for me because my Dad passed them on to me when I was a kid, maybe 8 or 9. Sure, I didn't get a lot of the wordplay, but I loved the inky line of Kelly and the fantastical situations that would build and build. Like so many cartoonists, Kelly is a major influence. This 10 page story brought back memories.

1 comment:

RoB said...

I am so happy to see "Pogo" on your blog. I remember getting my first Pogo book at a flea market in the very early 70s (25 cents, I think), and the feeling of excitement that I had something special to read. Since then, I have gradually built up my collection. I have very fond memories of late nights spent enjoying the art and the stories.

Another favorite from that time for me is the comic "Gordo" by Gus Arriola. A collection of his work with commentary was released several years ago ( Accidental Ambassador Gordo). Unfortunately, Mr. Arriola passed away sometime in the past year or so. It would be nice to put a link to some of his work for those who have not seen it.