Thursday, September 03, 2009

NEW YORKER Cartoonist John O'Brien Profile


Via Michael Maslin, here is a profile of New Yorker magazine cartoonist/illustrator John O'Brien, with emphasis on his 40 years with the Wildwood, NJ Beach Patrol. Titled "O'Brien: A Man for All Seasons … and 40 really great summers" by Shore News Today Staff Writer Carole Mattessich, we find out that this gifted artist is a renaissance man: not just an artist, but a lifeguard, as well as a "fabulous banjo player," a concertina player, and he plays Irish music sessions at the Irish Times pub in Philly every Thursday, fall thru spring.

"'There’s nothing heavily organized,' he says of the Irish Times gigs. 'Just a lot of the traditional jigs and reels, Irish drinking songs and so on.'"

4 comments:

dan reynolds said...

I love John's stuff. Always cerebral without being pretentious.
He doesn't know me from Adam, but I think his stuff is right up there among the best in the business.

Mike Lynch said...

I agree, Dan. I really like his work as well. I have a friend who plays in Irish pub sessions in Philly, too! I should get down there .....

MotownBabe said...

The O'Brien cartoon of the man raking up stars in his yard has been on my desk ever since I rec'd that issue of the New Yorker. I just love it!!

Lynx said...

I'm really intrigued by the pizza-cycle. Wonder if it's meant to be reflective of the psychic life cycle?