Friday, October 23, 2009

Wally Wood: 22 Panels That Always Work


A couple of times a year, I get an email informing me of Wally Wood's "22 Panels That Always Work." Do I know about it? Shouldn't I showcase it on my blog?

Like a lot of people who draw, I have a copy of this that I was given at least 20 years ago. It was passed along my a Marvel Comics freelancer (and Wally Wood worshipper) who told me it was full of knowledge.

The "22 Panels" primer is a sheet of paper that's been floating around for decades. It was put together by one of the greatest (some say the greatest) comic book artists, Wally Wood, to show

" ... some interesting ways to get some variety into those boring panels when some dumb writer has a bunch of lame characters sitting around and talking for page after page."

More about this (and a big hat tip) at Charles Yoakum's Ink Destroyed My Brush blog, where you can read the comments section if you don't know what Ben Day is, for instance.

No comments: