Monday, February 27, 2017

Graphic Novelist Chris Schweizer Interview


An early family tree from “The Crogan Adventures”, written/illustrated by Chris Schweizer and published by Oni Press

My friend Chris Schweizer talks about drawing and writing in this terrific interview by Cassi Parkes for CulturedVultures. Here's an excerpt:

“I think a lot about each project that I take on, and if it’s going to take more than a few days to complete, I look at it as: “Is this something that will have been worth my time, after I’m gone? Is this something I’ll be proud to have on my bookshelf?” If not, then it’s not something I’ll take on,” he says, and patiently listens whilst I prattle on about Hamilton’s philosophical questioning of not knowing who tells your story after your death. “As a result,” he continues, “the ones which most catch my interest are the historical projects. I feel like history as a genre unto itself has more shelf life than a lot of other projects. You know, you have rises and falls with other genres, but if you look at what’s stuck around, a lot of that stuff are either contemporary pieces which embodied their time period, or historical fiction. I don’t have a ton of interest in tackling contemporary stuff but there’s something about the alien quality of history that makes it kind of the same as tackling Star Wars, or something fantastical.”

No comments: