Tuesday, September 05, 2017

THE TRUTH ABOUT GOLF AND OTHER LIES by Buddy Hackett with Drawings by Gahan Wilson



Above: the dustjacket cover of THE TRUTH ABOUT GOLF AND OTHER LIES by Buddy Hackett with Drawings by Gahan Wilson.


I found this book in a second-hand shop, in a box of old books. Of course, the first thing I saw was Mr. Hackett's face on the cover. It wasn't until I picked it up and looked at it that I saw the many ink drawings by the great cartoonist Gahan Wilson. It's copyright 1968 by Buddy Hackett, Benjamin Yanow and Paul J. Sherman, as Trustees. It was published by Doubleday and Company, Inc., Garden City, NY.

One of those humorous books that you buy your uncle or your dad. You know, the humorous golf book. This hardcover book looks like it was perhaps never touched since that gift unwrapping occasion. This was too bad, since there were many previously unseen Gahan Wilson drawings. At least they were all unseen by me until today. I have reproduced some here. This is Wilson at his best. Wonderful work, as ever.











1 comment:

Unknown said...

A marvel of 1960's publishing--pairing Buddy Hackett & Gahan Wilson. Great stuff!